Due to recent changes to AOL's personal information sharing policy I chose to migrate my eMail to another service. I was nearly done, but today I saw ominous signs that my AOL eMail account had been hijacked. I thought that closing the account would be the simplest solution.

None of the online instructions worked.

Next I called AOL, but their voice recognition system wasn't working so navigating to a live person was difficult. Eventually I was talking to a foreign Rep. and proved my identity with a texted code. They also had to talk with my spouse since they are listed on the account. I was put on hold several times before eventually getting transferred to someone who knew nothing about previous conversation. I had to repeat all previous identification steps and explain the problem all over again. I got put on hold several more times before getting transferred yet again, but the call got dropped so I had to start all over.

I became a "Pissed Consumer" after the third time through this cycle. I wasted 2 hours on the phone and had spoken to 10 different Reps., and I am no closer to getting my email account deleted.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Before they became oath.

I didn't like: After they changed their policy.

Comments