2.3
Style and Design

In late Sept., 2017, AOL users received several notices that the current version of AOL would be discontinued, and users were obligated to switch to AOL Gold.I did so and rapidly realized that AOL Gold is one of the biggest frauds ever imposed upon consumers.

AOL Gold is practically closer to a DOS-based program, than a Windows-based one. It is no more sophisticated (and maybe less) than the free AOL webmail. Moreover, and somewhat shockingly, AOL Gold is less sophisticated than the first AOL version that I ever used in 1998 -- 20 years of progress down the drain, and then some. Here are some examples of the problems: 1) Saving mail is an important function for me.

My saved mail folders were carefully arranged in alphabetical order. Now, every time that I go on-line, the folders, as well as their contents, are in a different order, Of course, I'm waiting for the day when they're just not there at all. POUF. 2) The main reason that I've stuck with AOL all these years (despite my friends' derisive comments) is because I love inserting graphics (pictures, cool fonts, moving GIFs) in e-mails (hey, we all have our idiosyncrasies).

This is no longer possible. Instead of dozens of standard fonts, there are now about 10 fonts to choose from. All the cool colorful and wiggly fonts are gone. Also, very limited ability to insert graphics.

3) The font of Subject headings and sender names in the mail inbox (also in the sent mail and old mail boxes) is so big (and ugly) that you can only see a limited number of e-mails at one time. Similarly, I have to expand the window to be able to read e-mails -- something that I never had to do before. 4) The spellchecker will not let you see what it's checking since you only see a small portion of the e-mail. In other words, if there's a questionable or misspelling after the first 5 lines of your e-mail, you're not going to see it.

The list of problems goes on and one and, rather than bore anyone, suffice it reiterate that AOL Gold is more like a DOS-based than a Windows-based program. I cannot fathom who would've written the AOL Gold program -- maybe someone who just de-thawed after being frozen in a glacier since 1989.

Moreover, who could've possibly approved the release of AOL Gold?One of the most irresponsible and stupid corporate decisions that I've ever seen or heard of.

Review about: Aol Gold Desktop Application.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Fix the program and re-release it..

Had an Experience with Aol?

Comments

AOL Gold Sucks - install the new e-mail app.all my contacts are together not separatd as I had them ie: friends.

FL Friends - PHS Classmembers, etc.Been with AOL since 1987 - don't know what to do now.